Drive in or drive thru rack is a popular storage option, due to the ability to store up to 75% more pallets than standard pallet rack. However, drive in rack is not ideal for all storage applications. Here are some key tips on when to use drive in:
– Drive-In Rack is used to stock pallets of similar products. Forklifts drive into the rack to pull the first available pallet. This is “Last-In, First-Out” storage. If you are storing time sensitive product (e.g. food), this may not be the best application.
– Drive in rack is commonly used for cold storage applications because to the need to store as much product in as little expensive freezer space as possible.
– Seasonal items that progress swiftly through inventory.
– A considerable amount of similar items that can be stored in a single pallet position and accessed last-in, first-out
– If the storage capacities of all your loads are similar, than drive in rack can be considered, as well.